Monday, November 6, 2017

The Days are Long, the Years are Short.

Maybe it's because of the time change but tonight I miss it.
I miss the Cody, Johnie outside playing basketball with their Dad. Hearing the thump thump of the ball. I miss one of them yelling, "Yes!" I miss the laughter.
I miss Allison being in her room- doing what she did. Homework, organizing, watching mysteries on tv. Just knowing she was in there. Or doing her homework in the living room while I cooked supper. I am thankful we still have our mother-daughter talks.

I miss the busyness of kids- homework, dinner, laundry, cleaning up.
I miss my kids being home. All of us under one roof.
Don't get me wrong, I love having adult children. I truly enjoy my relationship with them. There is something to be said about not being completely responsible, all the time, for others.
You raise your kids to be independent adults. You release them to leave you- and live their life.
But every now and then- the house is so quiet. And you miss the sounds of the past that- truly goes so fast.
"The days are long. The years are short."
True words, indeed.

No comments: