Thursday, February 4, 2016

Moving on

Tonight as I am cooking supper I looked out of the side door of the dining room to a lonely sight. 



Broken, lonely basketball goal. 

We've lived in this house going on 23 years. My boys are 23 and 21. They grew up in the house. 

Many many many evenings as I was cooking supper I would hear the thump thump thump of the ball, the boys feet skittering around and then a boom and swirl- in goes the ball. 

There's a part of me that really really misses those days. I get a lump in my throat and my eyes fill with tears. It went by so fast. There are so many things I wish I could go back and redo. 

But, I-we- can't go back. We live today. We have today.  

I love today. I love seeing my children  being adults. Growing up, working- doing, what we put those years in, to do. 

Children don't stay young forever and we don't want them to. We want them to grow- "expand what already exists".   We want them to experience life. To be filled with joy and even some sorrow. To make mistakes and right choices. To have regrets but- just a few. 

I want my children to listen to the thump thump thump of a basketball- and hear their children playing in the back yard. I want my children to also experience the bittersweetness of letting go and moving on.  Its called- life. 

No comments: