Saturday, February 13, 2016

He is before all things, IN Him all things hold together.- Colossians 1:17

When Nick called me on Tuesday to come and pick him up at a gas station because his leg hurt so bad he couldn't drive, Johnie and I jumped in my Escape and headed to him.

He sounded terrible.  Could hardly talk.  Pain was intense.  

Nick got in the Escape with me and Johnie drove Nick's car home.  I scolded Nick for not telling the fella's he works with about how bad he was feeling.   Someone could have been with him!  

Nick's leg looked awful and was getting worse.  It was red from his pelvic area all the way to his foot.  It was getting "lumpy" and swelling something awful- his toes turning blue.  

We called our family doctor who had gave him the shot of cortisone on Monday and left a message with the nurse's voicemail.  We just didn't know what to do so we came home.  When we got home I was talking with Nick's aunt Deb in Kentucky and she said, "I'll have Kathy call you."  Kathy is a Nick's other aunt, Portia's, sister in law- she's also a dear family friend and a nurse.  

Kathy called and talked to Nick.  She told Nick to go to the ER.  

So off we go to the ER.  Nick and I discussed Mary Black Hospital or Spartanburg Regional.  I wanted to go to Regional because they give a bigger discount.  We have no medical insurance.  We belong to Christian Healthcare Ministries and part of this is negotiating price.  

Nick said, "I can get in faster at Mary Black."  Agreed.  And he was in so much pain.  He told me to drive faster, to turn my hazard lights on, to drive in the center lane.  Me, being the rule follower that I am- had a hard time doing that and I finally told Nick, "I'm doing the best I can."

And I prayed and prayed.  

We finally got to Mary Black where I wheelchaired Nick in because by then he couldn't feel his leg but it was a very heavy weight- he couldn't move it.

We waited about 15-20 minutes- in which Johnie came to the ER also.  When they took him back to get his vitals they took one look at his leg, checked the pulse in his foot which was barely there and said he needed to see the vascular surgeon.  Mary Black surgeon was in surgery so they decided to send him on to Regional by ambulance.

While Nick went in the ambulance, I asked Johnie to leave his car at MB and drive me in the Escape because I needed to make phone calls to family in Kentucky- at first Johnie didn't want to to but when he got in my car I realized why- he had been crying.  My sweet 21 year old son was so concerned about his dad.  He got in the car and just cried and cried.  I cried and told him, "Let's just pray for a few minutes."  So we did.  Then Allison gets to MB as we are leaving and she gets in with us- we all three are stunned.  

Yet, through it all I've a calmness.  The very presence of Peace, Himself, Jesus.  
Colossians 1:17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

At Regional Nick was to see the vascular doctor there, Dr. Calton, who would determine that it was bloodclots in the vein in Nick's leg.  Part of this came from the fact that Nick's great grandmother, grandmother, father, aunt and sister ALL have had this.  

We were so surprised because Nick is pretty active, and relatively healthy.  

But as we look back some things are beginning to be like a puzzle put together.  When he cut his knee real back on Thanksgiving due to a mountain biking accident it barely bleed and he cut it to the bone.  

An ultrasound was done on Nick's leg and there was extensive blood clots.

So what the doctor decided to do was insert (a surgical procedure) a tiny catheter in the vein from Nick's calf to his pelvic area.  Then they would run clot busting medicine in the vein and two blood thinners.  They put Nick to sleep, flipped him on his stomach and did this surgical procedure.   

While all of this was going on all of children- Allison, Ben, Cody and Johnie gathered in the surgery waiting area.  Along with Connie and Beas who brought me hot coffee, Patricia, Will and Hal and Marisa (who brought a bag of snack and quarters for the coke machine!).  

Will got to go up to the OR waiting where Nick was and prayed with him.  We are so thankful for our dear friend who our grandson will be named after- it's an honor to have our first grandchild named after you Will- you've been a friend, a pastor, a teacher, a truth-speaker to us and we appreciate you, we love you.  

After surgery Nick was in recovery then taken to CCU to which the first person he was to see was his dear friend, Chip Banke.  Chip got there at just the right time to get in to see him.  

Afterward we could go a few at a time.  By then Connie and Beas had went home because dear Connie...my beloved Connie...was tired.  Rheumatoid Arthritis has really been hard on her the last year.  Today (Saturday) this all has taken a tole on her.  She was running a fever last night with exhaustion.  My heart breaks for her....we ask the Lord for healing in her body...to release the fever that has held it's grip on her for months now...for wisdom and compassion from the doctors....but the truth of all is Jesus holds Connie together and my prayer is she experiences His Presence in her through it all.  

When Hal walked in he put hand sanitizer on his hands- on Nick's forehead and gave him 3 kisses on his forehead! LOL!  I love you, Brother...that's what he said!!!

On Wednesday, which Allison took off from school (teaches 3rd grade), we went to the hospital early.  They did the procedure to take the catheter out of his vein....because everything was looking GREAT...but we didn't get to see Nick for 6 hours!  UG.  

Allison and I left the hospital to go home for awhile.  Connie and Beas came by to bring us dinner (chicken alfredo from Costco's!)- we sit and talked awhile.  We sure love Connie and Beas... our SC parents.  : )

Finally Nick got in a room around 5pm.  

Connie and Beas, Chip and Holly, and Ben's mom Lynn visited Nick at the hospital.  Later in the evening after Ben and Johnie got back from church we all gathered in Nick's room and ate Zaxby's.  Cody brought some work and sit at a table to work on it.  We were all together.  

I am so very thankful for my kids.  I can't tell you how good they have been through all of this for Nick and me.  

On Thursday morning Nick got to come home.  We settled in the house and I went to get the bloodthinner medication he has to take.  Fortunately the hospital gave me a trial offer voucher for the first 30 days.  Unfortunately the way the doctor wrote it out it only was good for 21 days.  But hey, since we have no drug card at least that saved us $500.   The CVS pharmacist was wonderful!  She showed me different ways I could try to get Nick's medicine without having to pay full price- which will be about $340 a month.  Well, amen.   All during this the Lord spoke to me and said, "Do you doubt me?"

I do not, Lord.  I do not.  I trust You.  You go before all things and IN YOU hold all things together.

Our nephew, Hunter came down from Ky on Thursday evening because Nick and the kids had tickets for the KY/SC game.  Needless to say, they won't be going : )

On Friday, I went to work for awhile and then Patricia and all the kids came over for dinner.  It was lovely to sit with Patricia and look at Scriptures- and speak our "language" to one another.  

Allison who hasn't felt well has a double ear infection and we are hoping she gets better quickly.  One thing we are concerned about is the bloodclots with her.  Nick's sister Andrea had two episodes when she was pregnant with two of her children.  Allison is going to tell her OBGYN so they can be aware.  

So here we are on Saturday morning...it's cold (31) and windy out.  Yesterday we had a lovely snow for a couple of hours but it melted right after that but it sure was pretty!  

The KY game is on today and our dear Ben is going to make chili.  

We are blessed, Lord...and we are undeserving.  We thank You for our children, our friends and our family.  Why us, Lord?  Why us?  Thank You.  We love You. 



No comments: