Monday, February 17, 2014

Nicky Baby, 45!

What can I say about this dear man?

I guess what is in my heart right now is how he continues to just- grow- as a husband.  My Nick, he is a nurturer.  Now, if you asked him if he is a nurturer this is what he would say, "What does that even mean?"

 : )

He has NO idea how good a husband he is.  He has NO idea he IS one who nurtures, tends, cultivates, loves easily, loves fully.  Nick is like a gardener that tends the garden of our marriage because it comes naturally to him and from him.  It's just him.  And you know what that does to me?

Nick's tender care just causes me to grow to be the wife, mother and woman that God created me to be.  Without Nick, I wouldn't be who I am today.

Nick, knows how to love and show love.  How I need to be loved.  I don't know how he does it, but he does.

I will tell you something else.  Nick is not the type of man that opens his Bible and reads it every morning.  Or every day.  He is not some "theological" guy.  That used to upset me.  I wanted him to our family's "spiritual" leader or what I thought a "spiritual leader" looked like.  But I what I REALLY wanted was a "theological" leader.  But that is not Nick.  Yet, he IS the spiritual leader in our family.  Nick loves fully. Nick has joy despite the circumstances. Nick lives in peace. Nick is patient.  Nick is kind.  Nick is full of goodness.  Nick is faithful.  Nick is gentle.  Nick can control his tongue, his thoughts and his actions.  Now, if that is not a man full of the Spirit, then tell me what man is?

When I read 1 Corinthians 13, I see Nick all in those verse.  Patient, kind, not jealous, not bragging, not arrogant, doesn't seek his own, not provoked, doesn't take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, Nick rejoices in the truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  His love never fails.

This is the man, through Christ in him, my husband has grown into since the year 2000 when he placed his faith in Jesus.  He is just wonderful and I am so blessed!

Don't get me wrong, he is NOT perfect- my goodness, how could he be?  He is married to a woman that can get in the flesh in a flash!  : ) We have fusses and ups and downs.  Our marriage isn't perfect.  Now, I will say it is better than it's ever been.  We've shared and loved and fought a lot these last 25+ years of marriage.  Times were hard and lean.  Times have been easy and fruitful.  Joy and sorrow.

But that is LIFE and marriage.  But God.  Oh that holy "but" again, but God!  Our Center, our Foundation!  Psalm 31:15a says, "My times are in Your hand"-

No matter what, He goes before us.  He IS with us.  He lives in us.

Ecclesiastes 3

1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—

2 A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.

3 A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.

4 A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.

5 A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.

6 A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.

7 A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.

8 A time to love and a time to hate;

A time for war and a time for peace.


We have experienced all of these times.  But...God.  Oh Jesus, thank You, for my dear Nick.  For the man he is because of You.  Bless Him, continually with Your Presence.

John Waller, The Marriage Prayer

No comments: