Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Litter!


Growing up in beautiful south-central Kentucky, Casey County, a farming community in the 1980's was a pretty neat thing.  I am so blessed to have grown up there.  I am so blessed to still call it HOME!  But like any community, or county or state...litter became a huge problem.

In the 1980's there was a huge campaign against litter.  Keep America Beautiful.  Have Pride, Don't Litter.  Littering is a Crime.  We all remember the Native American with the tear rolling down his eye looking at all the trash.

So, what happened?  I don't know if it is like this in Kentucky or not but when I run the back roads of South Carolina and it fills me with sadness to see all the trash.  Mainly, beer cans and fast food bags/cups.  (Now, you won't see TOO many beer cans in Casey County because it's a dry county.)  And I think, so if people are throwing out these empty beer cans- then they are drinking and driving- as a person whose mother was killed by a drunk driver, well...that's a whole different blog there...

Anyway...back to LITTER...when did we start littering again?  When did we become LESS proud of our beautiful country?  Do we expect it to disappear or someone else to pick it up?  Is it still a crime?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions.  All I know is that it really makes me sad and a little angry that people are so thoughtless and careless and lazy to just throw trash out when they could carry it in the house when they get home!

America is still beautiful!  Let's keep it that way! Take Pride, Don't Litter!  

No comments: