Friday, January 10, 2014

Happy 24th Birthday, Baby Girl!

24 years ago YESTERDAY I woke up on a bright Tuesday morning- in my sister, Karen's waterbed, with a tightening in my stomach.  Nick had to work nights so we thought it best if I stayed at my Dad's in case I went into labor.

Nick picked me up on his way home from work, we went home to our little trailor on Mudhole Ridge and he went to sleep.  My cousin Rhonda came over and we went to Liberty, shopping, hoping the tightening that occurred every hour on the hour would turn into labor.

Later in the day, Nick and I ate leftover meatloaf and potatoes for supper.

At 5pm, I called the nurse and told her I was having contractions every hour.  She told me, "Well, this is your first baby and your due date isn't until tomorrow so you probably aren't in labor.  But come in anyway."

So, off we go to Somerset hospital.

On Wednesday January 10, 1990 at 6:25am Allison Nichelle Ellison (named after a teddy bear Nick gave me in high school that we named a girls name because it rhymed with his last name, I sit her now looking at that teddy bear with one blue eye (faded from staying in his car window) and one brown eye- and her middle name comes from her Daddy) made her grand entrance into this world.  Her Daddy was the first person to hold her.  By the time she was born all our family had gone home, so it was just us- alone.  We were wheeled to a little room with a bright warming light and as I laid there shivering uncontrollably I couldn't believe how beautiful this baby was- and I had NO IDEA how beautiful she really really was going to be INSIDE and OUT.

I am so proud of her.  I can't even describe the beauty of her.  I can't believe 24 years have passed.  From seeing her "stretch little Allison" to a 2nd grade teacher "you do an amazing job and these kids love you" from a parent.

But her true beauty comes from Jesus.  She wouldn't be the person she is today without Him.  When Allison was 10 Jesus made His grand entrance into all of our lives- this family which had grown to 5.  He took us and changed us- and continues to do so.  We are a family in whom in Christ we live, move and exist.

Now, our little family is a family of 6.  God brought a husband to Allison that went way beyond my prayers for her.  Our Ben.  We love that boy just as much as if we had gave birth to him.  We are so thankful that he is absolutely devoted to our daughter- loves her extravagantly but again most of all, he loves Jesus.  Christ is the center of their little family.

So, Al, happy birthday to our baby girl.  Alibeebopndeetndop!  Moptop!  Bop! Allishell!

Your Mama and Daddy sure love you!

No comments: