Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Born Anew

Do you ever wake up about 3:30am and can't go back to full sleep? It's kind of like 3/4 sleep but in that God puts someone on your mind?
That's what happened to me last night (well technically a few hours ago). It's not someone I really know. I've never talked to this person. I know this person has made some bad decisions in the past- and it affected a lot of people.
But someone in their life offered forgiveness- again, and again, and again.
I was thinking to myself...and yet praying, "God, has this person really changed? So much hurt has been brought by their actions. Do people really change?"
And so clearly God spoke to me, "You did. Have you forgotten what I did for you, and IN you, 18 years ago?"
I guess when you've been a believer so long...maybe we forget that God still is the God of redemption and salvation. For the last 10 years I have taught about the healing, freedom and victory that Jesus accomplished for us through His death, burial, resurrection and ascension. I speak to the believer, the one ALREADY saved- but maybe just doesn't know what this great God of ours, the Lord Jesus Christ, has saved us from!
This morning Jesus reminded me just how FAR He has brought me from. Literally from death to life. For you see, as God reminded me this morning, I, too, was the worst of sinners.
This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am (Greek: am, have been, it is I, was) the worst. But for this very reason I was shown mercy, so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His perfect patience, as an example to those who would believe in Him for eternal life. - Paul, in a letter to Timothy
To be honest, I do NOT feel like that person I was before. She seems so foreign, so strange to me. Truly, a different person. I think back to her and think, "Really? That was me?"
Yes, and no. It was. But no, it's not now. I was born again, literally "from above". For about 8 years after I was SAVED, I still struggled with the things old Starla struggled with. Oh boy, the struggle was real. Yes, there was fight in me. A soulical fight. A spiritual fight. My mind, will and emotions wanted to be comfortable and live the "old way". But my new spirit in which God, Himself, dwells- says, "No way, old way!" And I had to come to end of my self- and to Jesus.
That's when the change began. That's when I began to really FEEL and KNOW this new creation me. This new innerman Starla whose Source of Life is God.
This morning, God reminded me anew- He is the Source of change. He is. Not just in my mind, my actions but literally, ALL OF ME. Body, soul and spirit. He is the Great Exchange- 2 Corinthians 5:21. Like my Grandpa wrote in his Bible, "He became what we were so we could become what He is."
Oh how I pray for the person God brought to my mind this morning. Oh how I pray they too can look back in 18 years and say, "Really? That was me?" To SEE what God really does do. Key word: WAS.
Jesus came to save SINNERS. Those separated from God by sin. That is EVERYONE born, because we are all born sinners (Romans 5). But because of His great mercy, He makes fully evident, undeniable- His PERFECT, WHOLE PATIENCE- as an example (Oh I am His example!) for those that BELIEVE IN HIM! Oh what Grace! He saved me! From sin, death, satan, the world and temptation! He still does! Ever active and present in all of my life.
I am no longer a sinner. My core identity has been changed! I am new, clean, whole, righteous, holy, a saint, free- a child of God!
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.- John 1:12-13
Oh Father, thank You! Thank You for reminding me this morning of who I used to be- a sinner, a separated from You. But through Jesus- yes, beloved Jesus, I am can now call you Father! Abba! John 14:6. Thank You for reminding me what YOU have done not just IN my life but literally WITH my life. You made me new and gave me YOUR Life, Colossians 3:4. Jesus. I am now the temple of the Holy Spirit, my Counselor and Comforter. What great Mercy, Love, Patience and Grace! Thank You!

No comments: