Friday, January 15, 2016

Exercise AND EAT RIGHT!

I was 9 when my mother died.  Your whole world changes when your main caregiver, house keeper, nurse, cook- all that mothers are- is suddenly gone.

One thing was we had to start eating breakfast at school.  Which, we (my younger sister Karen and I) did. 

When I was in high school I was SO self-conscious about my body.  I think it was because my older sisters complained all the time about their weight.  They were never happy about their weight but honestly, they were not overweight.  They were nicely shaped and curvy.  Very lovely figures.  But the world says we have to "look a certain way".  My sisters were listening to the world and unknowingly letting the world speak through them. 

I'm shaped differently than my sisters.  They take after our mom and I take after my Dad's family, I suppose.  My metabolism was higher.  My energy level has always been high.  It didn't help that at 13 I started smoking which is an appetite suppressant.  And then I didn't overeat when I was depressed or angry- I didn't eat and I would smoke. 

In high school there is no breakfast served.  So I didn't eat breakfast.  I was so self-conscious, not only about how I looked but- as crazy as this sounds- how I looked eating AND the fact that I got free lunches which was embarrassing to me.  So, I only ate lunch at school only a few times- IN FOUR YEARS. 

I would go without eating until we ate supper at my grandmother's house during the evening.  My Dad rarely bought groceries for our house so we didn't have much to eat there. 

So I've always had unusual eating habits.  Of course when you get married and start having children- you have to feed them.  You have to cook and make sure they not go hungry.  : )

I quit smoking when I was 28 and gained weight.  Not a lot but more than I had ever weighed.  I drank a lot of soda and never water.  I wasn't happy with myself but I wasn't over weight so- I just kind of ignored things. 

This is the time when not eating correctly all my life and then enjoying the taste of food more (but still not liking to cook which is probably why I didn't gain as much weight and we couldn't afford to eat out much)- became a problem.

I've always weighed myself which I think is a good habit to have.  I like to KNOW what's going on! I tried various things throughout the years to keep my weight down.  I would NEVER go to "work out" somewhere where others were-self conscious- and I would NEVER go to an exercise class- again self conscious.   So I tried exercise videos at home or I would "run" in my yard.  Too fearful of leaving the boundaries of our property to walk or run.

I've always wanted to run.  I ran some when I was in high school, on the road where I grew up.  But not much or for very long.   I would run behind the kids elementary school( in circles) right after I quit smoking to burn off some of the crazy energy and withdrawals.  That didn't last long either. 

When we got to Bethlehem Baptist the youth pastor and several others were runners- and I started running a bit then- in my yard.  That didn't last long either. 

Then when I was 39 our church participated in a benefit run for a family.  I decided to train for the 5k- brave the road behind my house- and do this for my 40th birthday (same month as that 5K.)  I was also going through some things emotionally and just felt the need to "run". 

So on January 29, 2010- I ran my first half mile.  I've been running ever since. 

But...even running doesn't keep the weight off.  You've got to learn to eat right.  I DO eat good things.  I just over eat some and I eat late at night.  I'm at the point that I have to change my lifestyle.  HOW?

So, I started learning WHEN and WHAT and HOW MUCH to eat.

Yesterday was my first day. 

I'm going to eat about 6 times a day.  When I feel a bit hungry I am going to eat a snack. 

Yesterday:

-1 small cup of coffee

BREAKFAST
-1 smoothie (great grains cereal, almonds, chia seeds, orange pieces with peel, peaches, pineapple, cucumber, bit of coconut oil and advocare spark)

SNACK-small bowl oats with only molasses in it

 LUNCH
-1 boiled egg
-pack of 4 SMALL lemon cookies
- 1 small cup of coffee

SUPPER
-carrot and almond milk soup, heated and ate with two slices of flax/sunflower bread with coconut oil on them
- a quarter size piece of ham
-steamed potato with real butter and sauteed broccoli, spinach and mushrooms
-small bowl of orange sherbet ice cream with one scoop of vanilla

And lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...we shall see. 


No comments: