Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Content

A friend and I have been talking about "contentment".
What does it mean to be content?
HELPS Word Studies says this about being "content":
-[842 (autárkēs) comes from autos ("self") and arkein ("sufficient") meaning "self"-sufficiency, which is entirely God-produced.]
-842 /autárkēs ("sufficiency within") occurs only in Phil 4:11 where it refers to positive self-sufficiency (inward adequacy) – i.e. that comes through the indwelling power of Christ.
-self-sufficient, content in the sense of being satisfied because living in God's content (fulness). This inward sufficiency is as valid in "low times" (suffering) as in "high times" (temporal prosperity).
Paul, says this about being content:
Philippians 4:11-12
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
1 Timothy 6:6-8
But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.
You don't have to be healthy and wealthy to have contentment.
You don't have to have all the money in the bank and material possessions to be content.
You don't have to have the perfect children, the perfect spouse, the perfect house, the perfect job, the perfect- anything.
All you need to be truly content is Jesus. And if you have Jesus- He is and has given you everything you need for LIFE and GODLINESS.
So then, why are so many people, believers, discontent? Maybe you are choosing to be discontent rather than contentment?
Maybe you- we- I am choosing to allow the circumstances and situations in this world to become our idols- maybe we are worshipping them instead of the Giver of Contentment?
How can that be you say? I dislike my circumstances! I dislike my situations! How can I be worshipping them? Whatever has YOU- has your attention- has become your idol and you are worshipping it.
Friend, are you content? Are you living in God's contentment and fully satisfied in Him? As my friend Sandy says, "Jesus is the cake and everything else is the icing."
This old world may not feel like it but it is temporary. Faith is not. Faith that God holds you IN HIM- right NOW. Whatever you are going through is temporary. It will end one day. But we do not live like those who have no hope. And our hope (and contentment) is not in or of this world.
You can be content right now. Wherever and in whatever circumstances you are.
Maybe you just need to spend a bit of time talking to and listening to the Giver of contentment? I know He would like nothing better.

No comments: