Monday, April 3, 2017

Vacation

When I was growing up we never went of vacation. Honestly, I don't know if I knew what "vacation" was. The "vacation" I knew about was summer break from school and Vacation Bible School. We didn't, at that time, have fall or spring break. We did go camping a couple of times- and at one time my Dad had a boat and we spent a couple summers going to the lake and spending the day.
I remember one summer Dad let us work on Sunday- picking peppers, so we could spend Monday- his birthday, July 4th, which was always a fun day for us, at the lake.
We went to Kings Island a couple of times. Karen and I went to Mammoth Cave with our cousin Steve and his family- and our 8th grade class went to Mammoth Cave.
But I never felt as if I missed anything. I guess, how do you miss something you never really knew about? At times I'm sure we were bored...but we were always doing things with our friends, we would go swim at the creek or the lake, we went to the fair- going to our sister's houses (in Kentucky or Cincinnati).
I never felt like it was something that I was supposed to have or should have and my life wasn't complete without it. I still don't. If we get to go on "vacation" somewhere- that's great- we save up for it and go. We've taken our kids to Pawley's Island some - that was in the early 2000's but...after that money was just too tight. When the kids became teenagers, instead of vacations we went on summer mission trips with them. In 2014 Nick and I got to do a 10 day trip to Ireland for our 25th anniversary (11 months after our anniversary! LOL).
Sure, I'd love to really travel. There are some places I would love to see. But I don't have to. My life isn't incomplete without it. There are so many things we can do locally on a day trip that is just as much fun- and NOT spend as much money!
When I look back on my life I want to look back on things that mean a lot for Nick, and me and our family. What did I do with this one life? Did I love and receive love, on a daily basis? Did I enjoy life on a daily basis? Not always having something to look forward to. I lived like that at one time...always trying to have something to look forward to. I wanted the day to go quick just to get to that one day I was looking forward to...and it went by so fast.
Enjoy today. Enjoy the moment. Find joy in today. Find joy in the moment.

No comments: