Monday, November 7, 2016

Whom then will I fear?

For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. 19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I saywhether things on earth or things in heaven.
Colossians 1

16 Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 17 For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 18 while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
                                 2 Corinthians 4



On this night, before the election, I think to 8 years ago.  I hope the outcome is different this time but I am not optimistic.  I can't help but be sad and downcast.  I know what has happened to our country the last 8 years and I dread seeing it over the next 8.  

I'm finding it hard to "fix my eyes on Jesus."  That's about as honest as I can get.  You know why?  Because I've allowed things of this temporal world encumber me.  I've allowed my self to be overwhelmed by things of this world.  

Jesus didn't.  His focus was always on the eternal ( oh Jesus, THE Eternal One!).  For He knew the eternal kingdom is always the upmost and real kingdom.  When He was being mocked, laughed at, yelled at, unbelieved, beaten, ridiculed- He was always fixed on the Father and the eternal kingdom.  Nothing distracted Him from His eternal purpose- me, my salvation, my transformation, my new life, my new future.  

I'm listening to a book, a true story, about a Jewish family- a German Jewish family.  A family that had to leave their homeland, was imprisoned, seen friends and family taken away and killed and finally escaped to Cuba and then eventually America.   They were a people totally unwanted.  And in many ways, the Jews still are.  

I hear the stories so many people have went through.  And many have went through some horrendous, unfathomable things.

And I think, where are You in all this God?  Are You a joke?  Are You really real?  How can You allow all this?

Again, in all honestly, I do not have the answers.  I don't know why He allows what He allows.  Why He permits what He could prevent.  

I find myself doubting Who God really is.  

All these crazy emotions about an election.  But...it's more than that.  I know that satan, too,  has a plan.  Sometimes it feels like his plans succeed more than God's, A LOT.  And I think, why do You let him God?  I doubt God's goodness.  I doubt His love.  I doubt "He cares for you."  

I guess it scares me, makes me uncomfortable to think my "comforts" may be taken away.  I can see that in America's future.  I can see that the Christians may be rounded up.  I can see the Christians going through intense persecution.  I see that there are less real believers now in America.  So I can see my fellow American's turning against me because of who I am:   child of God, believer, Christian.  I can see the next administration intensifying this persecution.  And it scares me.  It scares me for my children and grandchildren.  

But this God, my God, the only real true God- is He really for me?  Does He really care about me?  You know what all this sounds like?  It goes back to my core lies about God:  that He is distant, emotionally absent, preoccupied, untrustworthy because I am worthless, no value to Him.  

Maybe God allows these that govern our country JUST SO I won't put my trust in them?  Maybe He thinks I put too much value and concern on things of this world instead of Him?  

When I draw my last breath, and my spirit is leaving my body and I will be with Jesus face-to-face will all the stuff I am so concerned about be of ANY value?  Only in the sense that I didn't allow it to be my focus.  

Father, Father, I acknowledge to You that I have allowed this election to be my focus today.  I have allowed the election and it's outcome to fill me with fear.

  "Fear not, Starla, I will never leave nor forsake you."

  "Lay it aside, my daughter- run the race I have set before you fixed on Jesus, the Author- Originator, Beginner of FAITH and the Perfecter, COMPLETER, Finisher of Faith.  Otherwise, daughter, you will grow weary and lose heart."

  "Do you believe this?"

I believe, Jesus, but help my unbelief.  Align me once again, unto You, Lord.  Let me see with Your eyes.  Help me to look past the temporary and be firmly implanted in the eternal.  To walk in the eternal not the temporary.  In You alone, Lord Jesus, I find my rest.  Amen.  


O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.


O Light, that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to Thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy, that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross, that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from Thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

No comments: