Wednesday, November 2, 2016

12 Hours

Yesterday was probably one of the longest work days I have had in quite awhile.  12 hours.  3 jobs.  Two houses and one office.  I left my house at 9:15 yesterday morning and got home last night at 9:15.  The day before I had a house and two offices.  I got home after 9:30 the night before.  

During hunting season- which is from September to January here in South Carolina- I clean hunting clubs.  I only clean two and it's usually only once or twice a month.  Sometimes I can just go in and do general cleaning.   Other times, when hunters stay all night I have to clean the sheets.  Yesterday at one of the hunting clubs I stripped, washed/dried and made up 9 beds.  Two sets of bunk beds.  Yep.  We all know how fun those are!

Two months.  Then it will all settle down.  

The week before Thanksgiving and until Thanksgiving- is going to be so so crazy.  I dread it now and it's two weeks away.  

I've been cleaning 17 years this month.  I never never thought this would be my 'career'.  But it's the best job that worked out for my kids and the pay is much better than what I would make in most other places.  I have to work my body hard, true.  I have to deal with my own taxes and all that comes with being self-employed, but....it's really all worth it.  

When we lived in Kentucky I worked in the sewing factories- Fruit of the Loom and Osh Kosh.  I also worked at Dollar General.  I've worked since I was 17- holding a paying job.  But before that it was my sister Karen and I always had our housework, we also worked in cucumbers in the summer, we also babysat.  Then we worked in peppers after school in the fall.   Karen and I worked the summers in the hospitals, cleaning.  Then I got hired on when I got married, to work in the office.  From there I went Fruit of the Loom, Dollar General to Osh Kosh.  When Cody was 6 months old we moved to SC for Nick to work a new job.  This was super hard but one of the BEST things that ever happened to us.  

I did not work from April 1993 to summer 1995.  By then I had Johnie and I started working at little restaurants here in our area, waiting tables.  Nick worked nights, I worked days.  We had no family to help us out here so we had to do what we could with our 3 children.  Then finally in November 1999 I started cleaning and built my little business up from there.  I started cleaning because it's what I could do while the kids were in school and I could pick them up at school.  I never wanted my kids to come home to a lonely dark house after school like I did after my mom died.  

I've had one house for 16 years (I clean this house twice a week and it's more like my second home- I do more than clean here, it's like family), another for 14.  The offices and hunting clubs are related to house I've cleaned for 16 years.  The offices and hunting clubs I've been cleaning from  8 years.  

My body is getting weary with cleaning.  Last year I let go of 3 homes.  I am so glad I did.  I loved the people but the work really is hard.  It was just too much.  I know the fall season is super busy for me.  I don't know if next year I will clean the hunting clubs or not.  I don't know how much longer I want to work at night.  But there's really not much I can do to make the money I make for the hours I work.

I think every day, "What do I want to do with my life?"  Well, if it was up to me- I'd probably be some sort of farmer.  I'd love to work the land and it produce something I could sell for income.  But that's easier said than done.  I also know that's hard physical work, but I love being outside and I love being HOME.   I'd love to do more counseling- but I'm not charging for that.  I don't know.  So, I just keep doing what needs to be done.  Trusting God.  Holding close to Jesus.

I can't imagine NOT doing something.  Not working with my hands.  My big, hardworking hands.  I don't have pretty hands but I love them.  They aren't manicured.  But they are strong and tough.  LOL and the right one hurts!  : )  Well, amen.  That old ulnar nerve!

I can't and am not complaining.  I love my life.  I love the great peace.  I love that Jesus is my life and my peace and my HOME.  But sometimes I feel like sometimes that life is living me.  Working to pay that next bill- but I'll be honest with you- I love and greatly am thankful to God that that next bill IS paid.  I am grateful that our- Nick and my- big ole hands can find work- extra work.  We do what it takes- right now, after Nick's regular job he is stripping wallpaper off and painting two bathrooms for an older handicap couple in our church.  He isn't making much money but it's hard to find a handyman for smaller jobs and Nick is good at that.  He's such a blessing.  So, together, we work hard.  We do what it takes.  I am so so blessed.  Thank You, Father.  

So...that's my life.  Today I will do odds and ends I need to do.  I have to clean my own house!  Pay bills!  Take care of my chickens.  Water my some of my garden.  Oh Lord, we need rain.  I'm getting worried.  I've got 10-14 coming for Thanksgiving weekend and I hope our well has enough water.  We need rain so so bad.  Allison and Roman are coming after lunch to sew some blankets for Allison's nieces for Christmas.  Then the young lady I am counseling comes tonight.  

But for now...I'm going RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: