Wednesday, October 9, 2013

UGGGG!

I have participated in the Camp Croft Half Marathon since the very first Camp Croft Half Marathon in 2010.  This will be the 4th CCHM.  I haven't really ran many trails this year.  I normally run the trails at least once a week.  But not this year.

This year, Nick has been so poorly that he didn't feel like biking behind me.  He didn't even feeling like trying to run/walk some of it.  We would start out together then I would run my pace to a mile.  Then I would wait for him to catch up with me.  We would do this the whole way.  But, like I said, he has felt too bad to do so.

I have really felt good this year running.  I started the year out hoping to run injury free.  So I started taking yoga classes.  Stretching, working on core, balance.  I would say I deal with my sciatic nerve to where it has a great deal of pain when sitting, laying down or running only about 10% of the time.  My pace is good.  My time is good.  I feel good running.

But a few weeks ago I asked Cody to run trails with me so that I could get adjusted more since CCHM is Nov. 9th.  It was a rough run.  It poured down the rain and it was MUDDY down in those hollars!  : )  A couple of days later my sciatic started bothering me again while driving.

Yesterday, Sebastian (my dog) and I went to Camp Croft and ran 4.3 miles.  My leg hurt so bad last night I could hardly sleep.  When I woke this morning I was thinking, "What have I done differently?  I've ran a LOT of miles this year.  What is going on?"  Then it dawned on me.  I am running trails again.

As I think back, my sciatic pain started back in 2010 after I started running trails.  My heart is so sad.  I love the trails.  But I just don't want to deal with this pain every day and night.  Am I going to have to give up trails?

I've done some research.  It seems it's not lower back pain or a pinched nerve that causes my sciatic to flare up.  It's a muscle called the piriformis.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/piriformis-syndrome-causes-symptoms-treatments

As I sit here, my right arm and pinky finger is numb.  My lower back on my right side hurts, radiating up my spine.  The left side of my right foot is numb.  UGGGG.

I am going to research this.  I am going to look for stretches to do.  I am going to pray.

But, I may have some decisions to make.  I may have to give up something I love (trail running) so that I can continue something I love (road running pain free).  Yet as I look at this, in the grand scheme of all things- this is just a little thing.  : )


No comments: