Saturday, January 27, 2018

Simplicity

Do you feel like your life is too- complex? Maybe you feel like your life is too layered?
Sometimes I do. Sometimes I feel like I've got too much on my plate. When I was a lot younger and my children were little I told Nick that I just couldn't work a fulltime job, be the mother I wanted to be and keep our house/yard like I wanted. There's just so much a person can do. I just didn't have it in me to be Superwoman. I still don't.
I like simplicity. I like a simple life. That's just me. I like to get up early and spend a little time with the Lord. I like to read and study the Bible. I like to write and teach. I like to work in my yard. I like to hang out in my She Shed. I like a clean house. I love having my family over for family dinners. I like being with our friends. I love being with Nick. I like things orderly and neat.
Complexity messes up my mind. Which in turns gets my emotions all off track.
I also find when my life is simplified- by my own doing- I find greater rest and truthfully it is easier to abide in Christ. Now, I know there will come times when life will get complex and complicated, there was nothing I did to bring it on and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.
When Paul was writing to the church at Corinth he wrote, "But I am afraid, lest as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your mind should be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:3
I looked up the word "simpliticy" in Helps Word Study. Basically it means "not fold". Like a piece of cloth unfolded, not compounded or over-complicated (needlessly complex).
I know this for sure. The more complicated, folded, my life becomes the more my mind is led astray from the simplicity and devotion to Jesus. Why? Because my mind becomes focused on what I think is lacking in my life. And I want. I want things of this world, what others have, more than I want simplicity. I move from a life of faith in Jesus who IS Simplicity to being corrupted by the craftiness of the enemy who wants me wrapped up, twisted and overwhelmed by complexity. Complexity messes up my mind, which in turns sends my emotions on a totally different track- the track of doubt and unbelief.
So I'm choosing, in the moment, the simplicity of Jesus. And my mind and emotions rest which lead to experiencing joy and peace- which is now, because of my new birth in Christ truly normal and natural for me. It is unnatural for a believer to not rest, or abide, or yeild, or surrender. It unnatural for a believer to not have joy or peace.
So believer, you new creation in Christ you- choose Simplictiy.

No comments: