Monday, January 18, 2010

Rest

Several months ago when Nick was working in Aiken, he was having a very difficult time. He hated either staying there all night or being at the least an hour and half away from us. I have a little plastic box shaped like a loaf of bread, called the Bread of Life. In this Bread of life are Bible verses. One day, I withdrew the verse, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." Exodus 33:14.

I put the little verse on Nick's bedside table. A reminder that Jesus is always with Him and when He trusts in Him, he will find rest.

That little verse stays on Nick's table.

A few weeks ago, I ordered Mrs. L.B. Cowmans devotional book, Springs in the Valley. I've read some of it but the devotional book I read everyday is Streams in the Desert that she also wrote.

This morning, I was reading some of Springs when I decided to read February 17th, Nick's birthday. Isn't this SO like God?

Springs in the Valley by Mrs. L.B. Cowman
February 17th

"My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." Exodus 33:14.

What is rest?

To step out of self-life into Christ-life; to lie and let Him lift you out of it; to fold your hands close and hide your face on the hem of His garment; to let Him lay His cooling, soothing, healing hands upon your soul and draw all the hurry and fever from it's veins; to realize that you are not a mighty messenger, an important worker of His, full of care and responsibility, but only a little child with a Father's gently bidding to heed and fulfill; to lay your busy hands and ambitions confidently in His hands, as a child brings it's broken toys at his mother's call; to serve Him by waiting; to praise Him by saying, "Holy, Holy, Holy;" to cease to hurry, so you may not lose sight of His face; to learn to follow Him and not to run ahead of orders! To cease to live in self and for self, and to live in Him and for Him; to love His honor more than your own; to be a clear medium for His life-tide to shine and glow through. This is consecration, this is rest.

Thou sweet, beloved will of God
My anchor ground, my fortress hill
My spirit's silent, fair abode,
In Thee I hide me and am still.

Thou beautiful, sweet will, my God,
Holds fast in its sublime embrace
My captive will, a gladsome bird,
Prison'd in such a realm of grace.

Upon God's will I lay me down,
As child upon it's mother's breast
No silken couch, nor softest bed,
Could ever give me such deep rest.
-Tersteegen

No comments: