Monday, March 6, 2017

My little idols...are actually BIG ole IDOLS

If you really want to walk in wholeness and healing- you can't resist the inner work that God wants to do in you.  Yielding to Him- surrendering yourself to Him is the only way the process of healing begins.  

You have to take part in the process.  You have to feel it, to heal it.  You can't just sit and moan about "it".  Because sometimes "it" becomes our little idol that we hide and sit on (Genesis 31).  Something we really don't want to let go of it because it becomes so much a part of our identity and who would we be without our little idol?

Have you made your "it" an idol?

I did.  

Every time things (and people) wasn't going the way I thought they should- I ran to my little idol.  Better correct that, idols.  Plural.

Once, I ran to cigarettes. 
And anti-depressants.
Fear.
Anger.
Manipulation.
Control.
"Poor me" syndrome.

And I always felt terrible.  I was always miserable after running to my little idols.  Because no matter how hard I tried to make them work- they were dead.  There was no life in them.  They just drove me to more idols.  More ways of coping.  More patterns developed to handle life on my own. 

More idols.  More coping mechanisms.  More patterns developed.  
But always more conflict and frustration.  More fruitlessness.  More flesh.  

See, idols- that is flesh.  Ways we deal with life apart from God.  

You have to: 
see your flesh (idols, coping mechanisms, learned behavior, patterns developed to deal with life on your own apart from God), 
own it (yes, this IS how I deal with life apart from God!), 
hate it (you can't make flesh look pretty- you can't dress it up and put lipstick on it and make it look good because flesh ALWAYS leads to more flesh and DEATH "the mind set on the flesh is death" Romans 8:6a)
THEN 
Exchange it for Christ's life!  Only He in you can bring you to healing..."but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace" Romans 8:6b

Jesus is the only Healer.  Not pills.  Not psychotherapy.  Not your best friend.  Those things may help temporarily but do you really want to live on that roller coaster?  Up and down?  Or do you really want to have genuine, victorious healing?  

It's up to you.  Because God is ALWAYS waiting for you.  


No comments: